Wednesday, January 14, 2009

precision

one doctor had the good sense to suggest that our preoccupation with scientific precision might be disturbing the delicate balance of body chemistry--Motherhood and God by Margaret Hebblethwaite


All new mothers worry, right? My worry in past weeks has been that Abby eat enough. How do we tell if she's eating enough? (1) she has 6-8 wet diapers and at least 1 dirty one every day, (2) she eats for at least 30 minutes each time, (3) she eats 6-8 times per day. You can see how this might become ridiculous. I kept charts for the first month or so--when the diapers happened, precisely how long she ate. I worried constantly when she dipped to 7 feedings a day. There were tears, I'm not going to lie.

It's not that I'm not worried now, but I don't count things any more. She pees like a champ (sorry for scatalogical references, but you're reading a baby's blog, so what do you expect?) and is gaining weight well. And, though we haven't arrived at Nursing Nirvana, things are going very well these days. I suspect that my stress over numbers contributed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay! Glad to know that things are getting easier and less stressful. First hurdle accomplished - congrats. (c: